Thursday, October 28, 2010

Casa Cody - Palm Springs

Compliments of Cody

I had kept Casa Cody tucked away in my mind ever since my mom and I stayed there a couple years ago. As the continuous “budget bounders” we didn’t always stay at the most posh establishments, so when bougainvillea, twined gates opened to cottage-like rows of rooms, we knew Casa Cody was a rare find.

And as I found myself coming up on my first wedding anniversary, I knew Cody’s charming chalet was where I wanted to celebrate with the hubby. Palm Springs was ideal for a few reasons:

1) Two hour ride from San Diego without LA traffic.
2) Enough to do (tram, hikes, shopping), but not too much (won’t feel guilty for just sitting around the pool).
3) Already had a fabulous, affordable place to stay off the main strip, but within walking distance from everything.
4) Casa Cody also allowed dogs ($15 a night = Chianti, our mastiff, got to celebrate with us too!)

Last time I’d stayed along the back row of rooms, steps from a secluded, rectangular pool, though a larger, kidney-shaped number rippled up front, surrounded by other suites, a furnished patio (where continental breakfast was served) and the main office.

I reserved a studio ($99 a night with full kitchen*) and when the woman said she had one near the office, I asked for another, but there weren’t any available. Remembering the layout, I knew that would put us in right the middle of foot traffic and pool shenanigans. So I asked again when we got there and the answer was still “no”…BUT only because they had upgraded us to a one bedroom suite instead! Happy Anniversary to us, compliments of Casa Cody.

Travel Tip: Always let people know when it’s a special occasion because they might want to help make it extra special if they can (i.e. UPGRADE!!)

Sweet Suite: Wide, ceramic tile left its adobe footprint amongst the creature-comfort-coziness of rustic décor. A field of green, equipped with a grill and lounge chairs out front, plus an enclosed, back patio gave us all the privacy we needed (hot tub sat off the main path too).

Room with(out) a View: On our last day of sunbathing at the kidney pool, we noticed a couple emerging from the studio next to the office. Yikes - that would have been our room! Nothing like a front row seat for every passerby – no thank you. Our celebration style would have been severely cramped and our romantic, out-of-the-way, only-people-on-earth vibe that carried us throughout Casa would have evaporated.

Next time, the extra fee of the one bedroom suite would be worth every, extra penny**…privacy is priceless. Either way, we would find ourselves here again. In fact, all of Cody’s customers that we talked to were return ones, as I had been, as my husband (and dog) would now become. This Casa was “su casa” and we wouldn’t think of staying anywhere else.

*Rates change seasonally
**Or even the regular rooms towards the back without a kitchen (but a mini-frig), as my mom and I had before – still more private.

No comments: